What is a One Button Studio?
A One Button Studio (OBS) is a simplified recording studio that gives users the ability to create a high-quality video recording without any previous video production experience. UMD’s One Button Studios provide everything needed to create a polished video project:
- High definition camera
- High-directional condenser microphone
- Studio lighting
- A projector for content display - if presenting content, please bring your own laptop
What can I do with the One Button Studio?
The OBS will help you create the video content you need to engage the UMD community. Better reach visual and auditory learners by recording your presentation and posting it online for students or colleagues to view.Instructors
Create a dynamic virtual lecture
Record a demonstration
Share a bit about yourself in a personal class greeting
Utilize for class presentations
Include a video component in your next project
Create a polished training video for colleagues
Share the services your department offers by posting an informative video
Viewing a video of yourself can help you spot verbal tics, hand gestures, and facial expressions that can detract from your presentation. Use OBS to practice for your final presentation.Please note that OBS is not a video editing resource. If you plan to edit your video, you’ll need to source other equipment and software. Please see below for more information.
How do I record my presentation in the One Button Studio?
When the indicator light stops flashing, you’re done!
For more in-depth instruction, please click here.
What should I bring to the One Button Studio?Required
- USB Flash Drive
- Recommend minimum of 16GB storage for 2 hr video
- Supported USB formats include: FAT32, VFAT long file name extensions, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4 file system, or NTFS-formatted storage volume.
- Required if you plan to show content such as a Powerpoint presentation or other material.
- Not necessary if you are not presenting any digital material.
- Slide advance clicker (the room will not be stocked with one)
- Laptop adapter for HDMI cable
- Reserve your studio space and time.
- Contact email@example.com or call 301.405.2500 to schedule a tech to meet you in that studio at your scheduled time.
How can I get help editing my video?
If you need help taking your video to the next level, or to just make a few edits, there are resources on campus that can assist.Faculty & Staff
Faculty who need assistance editing their video may reach out to the Division of IT’s Academic Technology and Innovation unit. They provide video production and editing services (free or fee-based, depending on the level of support and equipment needed). For more information, see Academic Technology and Innovation Media Studio Services.
Academic Technology and Innovation's Media Studio is located in B0324 of the Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center by appointment. See also Video Capture and Production Resources for further information about post-filming options.Students
McKeldin Library offers media services to students. Please click here for more information.
TERPware offers higher end video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro (part of the Adobe Creative Cloud App) for free. They also offer other software at reduced prices. Please click here for more information.Smith School Studio
Faculty and staff of the Smith School may utilize resources in their media production studio.
OTL/Smith Media Production
Studio: 3511 VMH
Where are the One Button Studios?
One Button Studios are located all over campus for your convenience.
Click the building name to access the OBS scheduling website.
|2||Computer Science Instructional Center||1113|
|6||Stamp Student Union||2101|
|7||Plant Sciences Building||1132|
|8||Edward St. John Center||0105A|
How do I schedule time in a One Button Studio?
- Go to book1button.umd.edu
- Log in (UMD user authentication required)
- Find the right studio for you.
- There are several One Button Studios on campus (see map below).
- Most OBS are available Monday through Thursday 9a-9p and Fridays 9a-4p.
- All OBS offer the same high-quality video recording capabilities.
- Schedule your time.
- Studios can be scheduled in fifteen-minute increments.
- Make sure to schedule enough time to familiarize yourself with the system and give yourself the option to record the presentation more than once/start over if you make a mistake.
- An hour is recommended, a maximum of two hours is allowed.
- Rooms may be reserved up to two weeks in advance.
- Receive email confirmation
- You will automatically receive a confirmation email with your reservation information. Make sure to keep that email for future reference.
- The studio will be unlocked when you arrive, it is not staffed.
- Check In
- Upon arriving at the studio, make sure to check-in to your reservation to confirm your arrival. You can do this on your personal device by clicking on the “view this reservation” link in the confirmation email, and then clicking the “check in” button.
- If you do not check in within 10 minutes after the start of your reservation, it is assumed you are not using the studio and it will be released for others to reserve.
- Check Out
- When you are done, please click the “check-out” button on your reservation page, this helps track actual studio use.