The University community recognizes that the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has created unanticipated circumstances that may be seriously interrupting faculty progress toward professional and scholarly achievement. In March 2020, the Board of Regents and the University of Maryland System (USM) authorized the University to offer a one-year extension of the pre-tenure probationary period to all eligible tenure-track faculty who request it, due to effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on their ability to work. Upon further discussion with USM, this extension is being extended to include Librarian faculty on the permanent status track.
Who is eligible?
- All permanent status track faculty who are in their probationary period (pre-permanent status) on or after March 1, 2020.
How Should the Request for Permanent Status Review Delay due to COVID-19 be made?
- Eligible faculty will need to apply for a COVID-19-related delay. They should discuss their intent to apply for a review delay with their supervisor as soon as possible and before submitting the review delay request.
- Eligible faculty who wish to apply should go to http://faculty.umd.edu/delay to begin the process and select “COVID-19 Pandemic” as the reason for the review delay request.
- Faculty should provide a brief justification of the pandemic-related disruption to librarianship, scholarship, and/or service activity.
- The request will be routed to the Dean, and the Provost for approval, but assuming the faculty member is eligible, approval will be automatic and without penalty or prejudice.
- Once approved, the faculty member and Dean will receive notification of the approval and the new mandatory permanent status review decision date.
Timing of the Request
- Eligible faculty whose mandatory permanent status review is scheduled for Academic Year 2021-22 or beyond need to apply for the delay by June 1, 2021.
- Eligible faculty who do not apply for a review delay by the June 1, 2021 deadline will still be able to do so later, via the UMD process: II.1.00(D) - University of Maryland Policy on Extension of Time for Tenure Review Due to Personal and Professional Circumstance. Later approval via that process, however, will not be automatic, but will be reviewed in the normal way.
What does it mean to request the COVID-19 permanent status review delay?
- Eligible faculty undergoing their Reappointment Review in Academic Year 2020-2021 or beyond will have their review period extended by one year. Reappointment Review delay will only occur after the candidate has applied and has been granted permanent status delay.
- Eligible faculty who apply for a review delay, but later decide that they do not need the additional year, may request that their unit advance their candidacy according to the original schedule without being required to justify an “early” promotion.
Who should faculty contact with questions?
- Questions about the process should be directed to John Bertot, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs.
Thank you for all you are doing to cope with the challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please take care of yourselves and stay well.