Publication of this Document
The Appointment, Promotion and Tenure (APT) Manual and Guidelines are updated on an as-needed basis, with a date at the foot of each page to indicate when that page was updated. In order to be sure you are using the most up-to-date copy of the Guidelines, please refer directly to the Faculty Affairs website (http://faculty.umd.edu).
If you are using a PDF copy of the APT Manual and Guidelines, please download an updated version at least twice a year. A PDF version of the APT Manual and Guidelines is available here.
This document was last updated on April 19, 2022.
Most Recent Updates
- Clarification of the promotion and tenure review processes and procedures, such as the structures of reviews for each level (Unit, College, Campus); responsibilities of APT committees and APT administrators, Chairs, and Deans; and required documentation (e.g., use of the required University formatted CV, use of the required external evaluator letter request template).
- Update to the optional candidate COVID-19 impact statement.
- Inclusion of a required COVID Field Impact Statement.
- Expectations for adherence to required dossier documentation and contents (e.g., a candidate personal statement of no more than five pages, inclusion of required candidate peer evaluations, use of the Student Feedback on Course Experience template).
- Clarification of candidate supplemental materials, in particular supplemental materials that reference web-based or other non-static content.
- Guidance on identifying and articulating the impact of candidates whose scholarly and creative activities are largely or exclusively collaborative.
- Clarification regarding candidate sign off on dossier materials. In particular, candidates must receive a copy of the sample external evaluator letter at least two weeks prior to requests being sent to selected external evaluators.
- Clarification on the purpose and use of minority reports.
- Guidance on the new procedure for generating student feedback on course experience data to include in the dossier.
- Revisions to the University external letter evaluator request, to include the addition of a University COVID-19 Actions Timeline in the materials sent to external evaluators.